The "luxury heroine" of the nineties has been replaced by a fashion style for a healthy and sporty lifestyle. If a few decades ago, thin models were enough to be considered a beauty queen, the modern standard is a fit, athletic figure. However, regular training in the gym requires time, which not all women have. Yes, and strict diets that promise to lose 10 kg per month are not a universal remedy. But how to lose weight without diet and exercise? Don't believe those who say it's impossible. Perhaps, if you approach weight normalization wisely.
How to calculate your body mass index and why you need it
If you are looking for a way to lose weight without dieting, the first thing to do is calculate your BMI - your own body mass index. This is necessary to be able to objectively assess weight, numbers and set goals correctly. Without BMI, the desire to lose weight will be very vague, because you will not know your optimal weight.
Body mass index is a conditional value created by doctors to assess a person's weight. It is the ratio between body weight and height. Calculate it by the formula: weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared. For example, your height is 170 cm, which is 1. 7 m, so we multiply 1. 7 by 1. 7 and get 2. 89 meters squared. Assume your current weight is 75 kg. So to calculate BMI, you need to divide 75 by 2. 89. It turns out to be 25. 95. This is your body mass index.
We compare this number with the interpretation of the World Health Organization. Please note that there may be other ways to interpret BMI online, but they are still questionable. Focus on the WHO assessment:
- 16 or less - significant lack of mass;
- 16-18, 5 - insufficient body weight;
- 18. 5-25 - standard;
- 25-30 - excess weight;
- 30-35 - the first degree of obesity;
- 35-40 - the second degree of obesity;
- 40 or more - severe obesity.
So 25. 95 is the lower threshold for "overweight". That is, you do not need to lose so much to the standard: 5 kg. If you lose 10 kg, the weight is still within the medical norm. Therefore, you can set yourself such a goal.
But what if your BMI is already in the 20-22 range? This means that you should almost certainly not lose weight. Of course, the body mass index doesn't take into account features of your complexion, you may not have enough muscle tissue or light bones. However, if after losing weight, your BMI is below the normal range, then it is better not to risk your health and not to run after the state of thinness. At the same time, when you're not satisfied with your figure, it may not be your weight but the need to build muscle.
If your BMI is 30 or higher then you should definitely consult an endocrinologist before losing weight. Because of the high probability, you need medical help to normalize your weight.
This must not be forgotten
- Don't use automatic BMI calculator, calculate it yourself. Some computers intentionally inflate results to force you to purchase goods and services presented on the same website.
- Remember that BMI is an approximation, it doesn't take into account many parameters such as skin tone, skeletal weight, and even gender and age. Therefore, take BMI as a guide, but not the ultimate truth.
- To more accurately assess your condition, use a special device to determine the percentage of adipose tissue in the body. This indicator will give a more accurate indication of how many kilograms you need to lose and whether you need to lose more weight. Because 75 kg of muscle is not equal to 75 kg of fat tissue.
Reasons for weight gain
To determine how you can lose weight without dieting, you need to understand the causes of weight gain. That's one thing if you eat a whole chocolate cake every night before bed. It's a whole different matter if you have endocrine diseases, lead a sedentary lifestyle, and don't get enough sleep on a regular basis. So what is the reason for weight gain?
- Unbalanced diet. The only way to get an objective picture of your own diet is to write down what and when you eat. It sounds boring, but otherwise your opinion about your own diet will not be objective. You may feel like you're not eating much, but in reality, you'll no longer see a lot of high-calorie junk food or alcoholic beverages. Therefore, keep a food diary for a week or two, then re-read and assess how healthy your diet is.
- Eating disorder. A food diary can also help identify this problem, but an eating disorder is a serious medical problem that you cannot manage on your own. You will need the help of an endocrinologist and a psychotherapist who specializes in eating disorders. Possible symptoms of this disorder are guilt after eating, eating without feeling hungry, alternating strict diets with "falling down", discomfort when having to eat with peopleother, etc. v.
- Sedentary lifestyle. Perhaps your diet is perfect, but you are moving too little. Evaluating your own activity for the day helps with special apps or a regular step counter in your smartphone.
- Frequent lack of sleep and chronic stress. Unfortunately, lack of sleep can be the cause of many health problems, indirectly possibly even being the driver for the development of diabetes. In addition, the exhausted body due to lack of sleep will use food as an additional source of energy, so you eat more.
- endocrine disorders. Metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and PCOS is not a complete list of disorders that can be associated with weight gain. Assess your physical and emotional state: are there any other symptoms that indicate a health problem?
Learn the cause to determine how to lose weight without dieting at home. First, eliminate the cause of the overweight: consult your doctor and request treatment, if necessary. Try to rearrange your sleep/wake schedule if you're not getting enough sleep. It doesn't take a lot of exercise to adjust to a sedentary lifestyle. Sometimes it's enough to just take a regular walk, a walk in the fresh air.
This must not be forgotten
- If you gain more than 5 kg in a month, even though your diet and lifestyle have not changed, you should consult a specialist and an endocrinologist. You are almost certainly dealing with a medical problem.
- If you don't complain about your health, but still decide to discuss your weight loss issues with a professional, it should be a certified physician, not a fitness trainer. trainer or an online "weight loss marathon" seller. The human body is a very complex system, and sometimes medical education is not enough to give good advice on losing weight. Athletes, models, fitness enthusiasts cannot be considered "professionals" in these matters.
How can you lose weight without dieting?
It's weird, but the first thing to do to lose weight is to hide the scales in the pantry. You don't have to weigh yourself every day, even if you could. Once a week is enough. Regular weight creates neurosis, adds stress, and this interferes with the normalization of weight.
To get in shape without dieting and heavy exercise, you'll have to change your lifestyle. It is true that it is not easy but it is the existing lifestyle that makes your body overweight. Plus, you'll not only lose weight, but you'll also feel better if you try to adopt a healthier lifestyle. What does that mean?
Even with a healthy lifestyle, you need to consult your doctor in a timely manner. Regardless of whether your health problems affect your body or not. Behind the daily worries, it can be hard to find the time and money to go to the doctor, but this is paramount. Your health and well-being should come first.
A healthy lifestyle is a good night's rest. The advice to get enough sleep will be easier than following this advice, especially if you work hard and have young children in the family. However, an 8-hour sleep a night, the health is only half. Always try to make choices in favor of sleep. Waking up two hours early for a jog or sleeping before work? Get enough sleep. Sleep longer or walk around the city at night? Sleep again.
A healthy lifestyle is moderate physical activity. We're not talking about grueling exercises. However, being inactive will harm the spine, nervous system and endocrine system. Take a walk every day, choose simple exercises at home to do in the morning or at night. Find a form of physical activity that you enjoy and make it part of your routine. It could be hiking, jogging, yoga, dancing, outdoor games - anything, as long as you enjoy being active.
Finally, to lose weight without dieting, you'll have to rethink your approach to nutrition. A balanced diet is not synonymous with a low-calorie diet. On the contrary, it gives you enough energy, but does not contribute to weight gain.
Principles of a balanced diet
- The basis of the diet are grains, legumes, vegetables and fruits, and meat products should be less than a third of the serving. Add nuts, seeds, herbs to your diet.
- Limit alcohol, sweets, greasy foods, smoked and fried foods. If you can't give up these products completely, eat them in small portions and not every day. Let them be a pleasant exception, but not the rule in the diet.
- Gradually reduce the amount of sugar. Sugar is a great source of energy, but it creates a spike in blood glucose levels and also detracts from the euphoria of other foods.
- Eat 5 times a day. It's a surprise, isn't it? To lose weight without any homemade diets, you need to eat more often, not less. Don't skip meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner, and at least two alternating afternoon snacks. However, the portions should not be too large.
- Try to eat foods with the highest calorie content in the morning. If you want to reward yourself with a bun or a piece of chocolate, do it in the morning. Dinner should be light.
- Do not eat less than two hours before bedtime. Give your body a chance to absorb the food before going to bed.
- Don't skip breakfast. This is the main meal, the lack of a full breakfast often causes you to overeat during dinner and lunch or rush into fast food and sweets on the go.
- Don't starve. Among those who want to lose weight, there is an opinion that the most effective way to lose weight is to schedule a hunger strike for the body. It is harmful, ineffective, and in the long run threatens to overeat, as well as to disrupt metabolism.
Avoid alcoholic beverages - they are high in calories and cause hunger. Replace frying in a pan with baked goods or in the oven. Let fried, fatty and smoked dishes be rare delicacies on the drinking table. For a snack, you can have unsweetened yogurt, fruit, nuts, and cereal sandwiches. But avoid all fast food if you want to lose weight without diet and exercise.
Common mistakes when trying to lose weight
The worst mistake you can make when trying to lose weight is trying to lose weight fast. A normal, healthy rate of weight loss is 2-5 kg per month. If you lose weight faster, then the body will be stressed. In addition to being unhealthy, in the future the lost mass will return in the future, and you will probably weigh even more. Moreover, over time, radical diets and exercises stop working: even when starved, the body does not lose fat tissue. In order not to fall into this situation, do not try to lose weight too quickly.
The second most common mistake is to refuse fat altogether. Fats are an essential part of the diet. However, prioritize vegetable fats over animal fats and make sure their proportions in the menu are low.
The third mistake is to drastically reduce calorie intake. For example, a person calculates the optimal number of calories and significantly reduces the portion size. However, scientific studies have shown that it is not possible to cut your diet more than 20% of the usual number of calories. Therefore, even if you overeat, reduce your calorie intake slowly.